The core pillars of the reimagined employee experience
1. Clear career growth paths. Throughout my career as a design leader, I learned the importance of fostering a design culture that promotes both personal and career growth. To kickstart the reimagined employee experience, I established a formalized, clear career growth path for every functional role, and incorporated consistent checkpoints with each employee to ensure they were consistently on track to achieve their desired growth goals.
2. Continued/ongoing education. In order to foster a culture of individualized/personal growth, I created a program to reimburse employees for all book purchases & led a monthly UX Book Club meeting; created a formal budget to pay for employees to obtain leading industry certifications; created a substantial per-employee budget for training programs, industry conferences, & other educational opportunities.
3. Industry leading compensation package. I engaged a firm to conduct market research on our compensation packages. With the research data in-hand, I overhauled the compensation plans to ensure they are industry-leading.
4. Cultivating a collaborative community. I established monthly virtual events for employees to gather and talk about topics important to them, like emerging technology, design & product trends, innovation, and anything else they'd like to share with the team. Additionally, I created special activities, outings, and collaboration sessions when we gather together in person, making sure we have the opportunity to do-so at least twice per year, or more. I also developed special hack days every month, where team members can collaborate together on special innovation projects.
5. Creating consistent opportunities for recognition & rewards. I engaged executive HR stakeholders, and established a comprehensive recognition and rewards program, which was eventually adopted company-wide.
6. Flexible staffing plan. I enacted a flexible staffing program that allowed my directors and senior managers to utilize our talent network, at-will, when staff augmentation was needed to achieve business or product goals/milestones/timelines. This significantly cut down on team members feeling overwhelmed & overworked, and helped contribute to a positive work/life balance, while increasing overall team morale. Additionally, I ensured there was a path for long-term contractors to become full-time employees. Finally, I created a streamlined process to assess, plan, & budget for permanent, full-time employees.
7. Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion. I ensured both design and product teams were organizational leaders in Andela's DEI initiatives.